twitter

Tuesday 18 October 2011

shopping

It was really nice having a little granddaughter to take out this morning.  Such a pretty little thing and Sandy has bought her lovely clothes!  She even has a little velvet hat with felt flowers and a brim:  so sweet!  Must have cost a fortune.

 The two boys were lovely, of course, each in their own way, but Genevieve seems much easier to amuse; less boisterous and far less full of beans. We did the feeding of the ducks, of course, as usual, but we also spent a lot of the time peering into shop windows.  She really seemed most interested; I sensed quite a kindred spirit in her.

 I am getting the hang of the pushchair again now. Going into shops backwards and things:  amazing how you forget.

 There was a very nice, calf-length, red wrap dress in the window of Help the Aged today, which would be lovely to wear over Christmas.  I was very tempted to pop in and ask what size it was, but the shop was very crowded and, of course, I couldn’t have left the pushchair outside. (It’s so difficult to find anything the right length when you are getting on, and I do hate trousers: seem to cut me in half and I never feel womanly.) Genevieve liked it to, I could tell; she pointed a lot and gurgled. We decided that we would pop over again tomorrow and have another look if it’s still there. If we go early enough we should be able to get the pushchair inside.


Sandy hadn’t got back by the time we got home, so I got on with making some nice chicken sandwiches for lunch and a little chicken mousse in case Geraldine can’t cope with the bread. It took her a long time yesterday, Sandy, doing her shopping, four hours or so, I think; I was beginning to get worried.

 Geraldine?  who’s Geraldine? Genevieve, I mean.


Of course, I didn’t mind missing my watercolour class; I shall find out what they did and practice on my own before next Wednesday.)  


Sandy  had said she was popping out for Pampers, but I didn’t see any when she got home. You should see what she did buy, though" I'll try to remember them all:-


A silk tunic thing, deep crimson, almost black; lovely! It did suit her. (Oh, and the boots were gorgeous, too: long, black, soft leather lace-ups. And the heels! It must be well over forty years since I wore heels that high. I blame those five inch stilettos for my nobbly, misshapen toes and my bunions; they did warn us, but we wouldn’t listen)


Two new dresses, a dear little pale blue dressing gown and a pair of pink and orange overalls with a matching pink tee shirt for Genny. (I’m going to call her Genny, now. It’s less confusing.)


Some smoked salmon and a box of freshly-baked chocolate brownies (we had those with our afternoon tea).


Some games to send for the boys for their X- boxes, whatever those are. (Both at Bedales  now! My goodness, doesn’t time fly. Well, not Bedales exactly, it’s their junior school. William will be moving up to Bedales proper next year, but Archie’s got another two years to go. I think he’s enjoying the boarding now; he wasn’t, very much, at the beginning. 


Fancy, two of my grandchildren at public school! Or do you call it ‘Private school’? I don’t know; is there a difference?


What else? Oh, yes: - a new mascara. Yves St Laurent.


Some  watercress and some sort of low-fat, healthy-eating pasta salad in a tub. I think she had bought it for our lunch, but of course she had missed it. (Not Pot Noodles, of course, she wouldn’t hear of it

A fine, soft, button-up cardigan, navy, with tiny pearl buttons, in what she called ‘tissue cash.’ I presume that’s cashmere.

A set of six green glass water tumblers.


Nothing for Miles because she said he always rejects the things she chooses; prefers to buy his own. There are plenty of nice shops round where he works, in the City. He can have things sent up so he can choose in his office.


A squeaky hippopotamus and a pair of stripy tights. (For Guine–  I mean, for Genny, not for her.)

 Oh, and she bought me a lovely, warm knitted rug thing for my knees; be wonderful for watching telly.

 Oh,  and a  plant pot: very pretty, beige and green.

 She is extravagant.
#

You can’t browse around for ever in our Boots, though; it’s a very small branch. No wonder that she got side-tracked.






No comments:

Post a Comment