twitter

Friday 30 September 2011

The thrill of the successful hunt.

There's a woman that works in the charity shop I went into yesterday who cannot stop talking. What's her name? It begins with an 'S'.... Sally? Susan? Sarah?

Oh, no. That's right. It's Gill.

Well, whilst she was nattering on and on about the holiday she had just had, I spotted what looked like a very nice navy skirt dangling from the rail behind her head. According to the colour of the little thingy on the hanger, it was my size, too. When I finally managed to manoevre myself round and casually took it down from  the rail whilst still 'listening' and nodding politely, I found it was very similar to the lovely navy woollen one I'd seen in John Lewis's on sale for £148 the last time Sandy took me for a wander round, only the fabric was a lot thinner, being some kind of a linen. It was much the same style, though, a slender pencil line - and even better, it wasn't 'George' or 'Tu' or anything, it was from  Hobbs.  £4.99!  I bought it. Took a gamble on it fitting me:  bit desperate to  get away from Gill.

A small loaf, a few bananas, a quick pop in to the little library, a quarter of iced caramels  and I was done: time to hurry down the road. ( You have twenty five minutes to hurry round before the first bus back,  or two hours to wait before the next one, which is too long; there aren't that many shops. It's only a small town.)

I was really thrilled, but when I  tried it on in front of my bedroom mirror, it wouldn't fasten - and I don't mean a little bit, so that I could have moved the button or even left it undone, I mean a definite gap. Talk about developing a spare tyre! The zip would only go up half way.

There was only one thing for it.  I caught another bus in the afternoon and went to the big town instead of the little one.

'Spanx', they call them. I'd heard they were miraculous.

I was tired, though, when I got home and I had to water the plants and one or two other things, so I put off trying them on till today. I'll have a go this afternoon.





No comments:

Post a Comment